I’m sat at La Bouche, drinking a cup of chai and looking out at the grey clouds and drizzle. This typically British weather used to really get me down, and I’m wondering how you’re feeling about the next couple of months. Are you someone who tends to feel low during the winter?
If you do, please take a breath and give yourself a break. Let’s face it, winter in England can be hard, and most of my clients are affected by the winter months to some degree. I’d even go so far as to say that it’s normal to feel different, now that’s not to say you should put up with things, it’s simply that it’s normal for us to experience variations in our physical and emotional bodies as the seasons change (you can read more about what happens during winter here). What’s ok and what’s not? That really depends on how you experience these changes and whether you feel it’s an issue for you. If it is something you struggle with…
Can you imagine how different your life would be if you didn’t suffer with the winter blues?
Your mind would feel clear and focused, your body light. You would wake up in the morning feeling energised after a restful night’s sleep. You’d feel grounded and calm in your body. The pressure would lift, and instead of all that negative mental chatter, you’d treat yourself kindly and with respect. Ultimately, you’d shine on the inside even when it’s gloomy outside.
Maybe right now that all feels impossible because this is what’s going on for you:
- Your mind feels a bit fuzzy. It’s as if there’s a fog which stops you from thinking clearly.
- Sometimes your body feels heavy and empty, and at other times you feel overwhelmed by the amount of emotion your body is trying to contain.
- You feel like nothing is going right. Maybe you’ve lost your sense of purpose and feel disconnected from the world.
- When you get into bed at night, your mind races and it takes you a long time to fall asleep.
- Even if you sleep well at night, you feel sluggish in the morning and it takes you a few hours and several cups of coffee to get going.
- You’ve lost your appetite, or you’ve noticed that you’re comfort eating a lot.
- There’s a heaviness in your chest, or maybe you experience palpitations.
- You feel alone, even when you’re around other people.
- There are times when you feel deep levels of sadness/anxiety/fear.
- The simplest of things seem to require a tremendous amount of effort.[/notice]
You’ve probably tried talking with loved ones, taking supplements or antidepressants, or doing some form of exercise. You may have sought comfort in self-destructive ways, or perhaps your way of coping is to seek out some sunshine by taking a holiday every winter. Hell, there ain’t nothing wrong with taking a trip like that, but wouldn’t it be nice to resolve what’s going on so that that became an option as oppose to a necessity?
I get it.
I’ve been there, in that slump, you know the one I mean, the one where you feel so lost and down that you can’t see a way out. The one where you know you need to reach out and ask for help, but at the same time, you just can’t. I know how frustrating that can be.
That’s why I’ve created Beat the Blues: My intention with this six-week treatment programme is to help you shift from feeling clouded and low, to feeling clear and uplifted.
- An in-depth consultation. That doesn’t mean I need to know the inner workings of your mind, in fact, we hardly need to touch on what’s going on mentally for you (unless you want to), as your physical signs and symptoms will give me a clear idea of what’s going on for you.
- Six 45 minute acupuncture sessions. It’s your time, you’ll have space to be you, no judgement, no pressure. You might want to drift off and doze, you might want to talk about what’s going on for you, you might want to peacefully let go of what you’ve been holding on to. It truly is all ok.
- One hour of reflexology or massage. If you’re anything like me, just the thought of this creates space and lightness in your body. Lots of my patients have commented that having soothing bodywork alongside the series of acupuncture sessions really helps them to let go of tension that they may have been storing for years, and that’s why I love to include reflexology and massage in my acupuncture packages.
You’ll also learn:
- A few basic principles of Chinese Medicine which will help to explain why you’re feeling the way you are. Most patients feel a great sense of relief when what they’re experiencing is framed in this way, suddenly what they feel is “weird”, becomes common sense.
- What dietary and lifestyle changes will aid your treatment the most, but don’t worry, I’m not a hard-ass **cough, cough**, I’d rather help you to make changes which feel appropriate for where you’re at, and which will be also be long-lasting.
What can you expect?
- Permission to unplug and take some time out to be kind to yourself.
- Acknowledgement of what’s going on for you at the moment. I’m not going to be leaning over you as you try to relax and enjoy your treatment, telling you exactly what you need to do to “fix your life”. No, no, no, you’re the driver, I’m just the attendant at the petrol station helping you on your journey.
- Sensitivity and compassion. Oh boy, we could all do with a big dose of this! Simply put, I’m not going to be another well-meaning person telling you to “look on the bright side and be grateful for what you have in your life”.
Beat the Blues will fit you perfectly if:
- The list in the first yellow box pretty much described your current situation.
- You want to address the root of why you feel the way you do without but a talking therapy doesn’t appeal to you at the moment.
- You’re feel like you’re at your breaking point and want some help.
- You’re considering starting to take antidepressants or interested in coming off them.
Another approach might be more suitable if:
- You’re mainly interested in talking to someone.
- You want to explore issues from your past (acupuncture can support you in this, but a qualified and reputable psychotherapist is likely to be your best form of primary treatment).
Beat the Blues is £350 (£40 less than what it all adds up to).
To recap, that includes your consultation, six 45 minute acupuncture sessions, and one hour of massage or reflexology.
If you’d like to get the money side of things out of the way, you can pay all at once by bank transfer/cheque. Or if paying week by week suits you better, that’s also fine.
My request is that you book all of your appointments at the end of your first session, that way you know you have something positive and helpful to look forward to every week, and it prioritises taking care of yourself at a time when you need it most.
What else could you spend £350 on?
- 35 burgers.
- A one way ticket to Bangkok (actually this comes in at £400, still it’s tempting…)
- A weekend yoga retreat (Naomi has one coming up in April if you’re interested).
- A pricey pair of new shoes!
All hugely tempting I’m sure, but my guess is that you’re ready for long-lasting change, right now.
➥ If you’d like to schedule an appointment or have a 15 minute phone consultation, please email me to arrange this.
Some recent testimonials:
“I’ve battled with depression on and off for years and last year I hit rock bottom. Thankfully a friend recommended Maisie. I spent a large part of my first treatment crying, and she didn’t try to cheer me up or find a way to get me to stop…it was such a relief to let go of my mask and tell someone how sad and angry I was. When she explained my treatment plan to me, it all made sense, she asked me if it felt like I had a heavy wet blanket on top of me all the time, which was exactly how I felt! Within three treatments I felt like a new woman.”
“Issues with stress, anxiety, emotions were treated to make me a more relaxed and content individual- it certainly didn’t go unnoticed by my friends. Maisie’s ears must constantly be burning because as soon as anyone tells me they suffer from anxiety, the first person I mention to go to is her- I couldn’t recommend Maisie highly enough.”
“I feel my health improving with each session and the physical experience during treatment remarkable. I feel more calm and energised than ever before. Maisie really knows and loves what she practices and her passion really comes across, she is a constant inspiration to me. Thank you Maisie for helping me put a spring back in my step.”
“At the beginning of the treatment she asked me how I wanted to feel, “grounded” was my answer. One hour later I was so utterly connected to the earth I felt I had become almost part of it! It was the most energised, connected and stable I had felt all week.”